At Stash, we believe that the best travel experiences are found via word-of-mouth, not guidebooks. That’s why we’re giving you the inside scoop from the locals. Today, the pros from the New Orleans Hotel Collection share the inside scoop on the Big Easy.
1. It’s not as touristy as you’d think… Take a daytime trip on the Natchez Steamboat and see the city unfold below you. Yes, at this time of year, the Mississippi river runs through New Orleans about ten feet above the surrounding land, and the Natchez – the river’s last real steam-powered paddle wheeler– rides three stories higher than that! Great views, and an excellent Bloody Mary at the bar on deck.
2. Lounge like a local and enjoy free “Jazz in the Park.” Louis Armstrong Park, the nation’s only National Jazz Park, hosts free concerts every Thursday night in the spring and early summer. Bring a blanket and cash for a classic creole and BBQ picnic. Perfect for date night, families, or solo travelers looking to unwind. The Louis Armstrong Park is right next to the historic French quarter.
3. For the hardcore foodies, stop at the Southern Food and Beverage Museum. Named “The Food Capitol of the US,” New Orleans take grub very seriously. Recently installed in its own, brand new building, the SOFAB also incorporates the world’s largest cookbook library. Food demonstrations, historic exhibits, and a great new restaurant (Purloo) are all on-site. With 1480 restaurants in the city now, compared to 800 ten years ago, we are all about THE MEAL.
4. Tourists do ghost tours, travelers visit the stunning and serene cemeteries. Lafayette Cemetery #1 and St. Louis Cemetery #1 are among the oldest, dating to the 18th and 19th centuries. Gothic structures, above-ground tombs and statues are surrounded by old growth trees, it’s both peaceful and picturesque. Take a free walking tour for added perspective.
5. Everyone knows (and loves) the French Quarter, venture out to the Bywater, an eclectic neighborhood that is described as “quirky & marvelous.” Don’t be surprised by the lack of tourists, the Bywater is a true hidden gem. So hidden that you might not notice the gems until you look close. Take Bacchanal for example. Unassuming from the outside, a mix of all our favorite things inside. Borrowing words “Get your wine and cheese up front, get your food and music out back. Help yourself, have fun, get funky…” What’s not to love?
Now, you know where to go, but where should you crash? Check out the New Orleans Hotel Collection’s five distinctly New Orleans properties. All five hotels are offering HUGE deals for Stash Members – check it out.